King of the Hill

The 20s are all about making yourself at home. There truly is no place like home. It's that one place where you feel most comfortable, safe, and warm. Home is where everything just seems to make sense and fit together, no matter how dysfunctionally chaotic things get. Home is your kingdom. Home is your fortress. Home is where you make the rules and external influences halt at the door. Take your rightful thrown as king of the hill. 
The holiday season is probably a busy time of the year for most families but for mine it's quite the opposite. If only for a few days we come together, shut out the rest of the world and do nothing more than reflect on what we've been blessed with and how far we've come. We fulfill social expectations of sending holiday greetings (holiday because having your beliefs represented in the mass media is a privilege not everyone has - as in everyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas) in the mail, answering a seemingly endless amount of phone calls of well wishes, and giving presents to all those we remember. We no longer decorate our house - no tree, no lights, or no incessant Christmas music. We celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus and with the monumental day comes naturally salvation and gratitude. Christmas morning is radio silent. Until noon we block out the outside world (my phone is turned off for once), have a little sermon and truly relish in the amazing things that we encountered and endured. My dad gives a moving speech and reminds us our purpose - to figure out our purpose and fulfill it. Oh to be destined for greatness - both a terrifying undertaking but an exciting one at that. This upcoming year means drastic changes in every aspect of our lives and I can only wonder what we'll go up against. No presents - just a task for us to use the money we're given to appreciate those we care about. You purchase a few things for yourself but most of it is spent on the people that have been involved in our lives through the year. As a kid, I used to hate it and wanted to be like other people, asking for things and trying to keep up with the latest trends (throwing so much shade - yup at all those who posted what they received on every social media platform). But as I grew up I realized how powerful just acknowledging that people had made an impact on my life could be. It may not be a "traditional" Christmas (as if that applies to everyone - everyone has their own traditions) but it's perfect for us. We end with a huge feast and have friends and family over to enjoy their company. King of the hill makes his own rules and regulations. 
The best part about being at home is the difference in who I am. Honestly, everywhere else makes me feel some type of way (for a multitude of reasons - mostly because I'm different and carry myself differently to most people my age). At home I'm just me. I don't have to be anyone else. I don't have to fit in. I don't have to assimilate. I don't have to pretend to be "normal" - I am normal at home. I laugh louder and more often. I smile genuinely. I'm relaxed instead of constantly nervous, worries or skeptical of everything and everyone around me. I get to share everything and most of all know that my bond with those I'm in the vicinity of (namely my family and friends) isn't a constantly fluctuating one (ooph, those subtle digs hit you right in the feels). For once, everything about me - all that I am and do - is normal. There's so much people don't know about me (read as care to inquire about). I think I get a bad rap as a self-righteous overachieving perfectionist without a sense of humor and an uncanny knack for melodrama. I'm a chipper person with a strong resolve. Is that a crime - sue me why don't ya. There's more to me than meets the eye (as is the case for literally everyone else on this planet BTW) and this time of the year brings it out. I'm a proper cook, not like college wannabe chef microwave nonsense but full meals from scratch (thank you domestication). I also am supper competitive when it comes to video games. The Halo series of games are my poisons of choice and being home means hardcore means hardcore game sessions. King of the hill is all about knowing your forte. 

Multiplayer Rules
Yelling Allowed - When you're going head to head against your siblings and friends, there's no holding back. Things get intense. Scream as loud as you want and make as many ridiculous noises as you need to. Side effects may include headaches, profuse sweating and loss of voice.
No Screen Look or Blocks - If look at someone else's screen you're a lowlife cheater. If you walk in front of the screen - you will be ended. Go around people!
Pausing is Cheating - If pause the game in the middle of the action you're cheating and we all know that text or snapchat can wait. We pause for no one and nothing. Eat and pee before you play. 
Have Fun - Last but not least have fun! It's just a game but whoever wins has bragging rights so either bring your A-game or don't play at all
The 20s are about letting loose and being the most real version of yourself. Home is the place where you're expected to be no one other than who you truly are. Home is where everything just works out regardless of how crazy things get. Home has this unreal property of being perfect and out of control at the same time. Love it or hate it, there is no place like home. Who doesn't love being king of the hill whenever you're there. 
My blog post question for the day is ... what do you love most about your home? I love having my own room and while there's no real sense of privacy, I'm not constantly having people I barely know invading my space. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex Bomb

Netflix and Chill

Awakening