Fireproof

The 20s are all about perseverance and endurance. There is something to be said about deciding to not only do something but to follow through and see it to its end. Commitment means a lot. Promises are meant to be kept. Truths are supposed to remain true. No matter what comes your way, no matter how much the world tries to set you on fire, you can never burn if you're already beyond the flames. You're flame-resistant, non-flammable, and most of all fireproof.

*This posts marks the fourth birthday of the start of this blog! Four years, 631 posts, 247,000+ pageviews and thousands of words later, I'm still writing. The question I get asked most often about this blog is what I do once I finish college. To be quite frank with you, I don't really know. I'm writing the final chapter of my college experience everyday and I'm just taking it as that, day by day. Maybe I'll stop and start a new blog when I start the next part of my life, or revamp this one. All I know is I love writing and this blog has been there for me when I've needed it. It's been a place to be real with myself in sharing my thoughts and feelings but even more to read myself back to me. It's unreal to see how far I've come, how much I have changed, and even the ways this blog has done so with me. It's been with me through everything; it's been fireproof.

On that note, I want to say thank you. I don't say it nearly enough to all those who do things for me and I'm thanking you all because you you're my worldwide sounding board. You let me be me. You give me reason and purpose. You challenge me to think critically about myself and for all that I am forever grateful. There is no way for me to express how much it means to me that you take the time to read me and my long-winded glory. You've been with me through all the good times, the even more numerous bad times, and all the crazy collegiate antics in between. You know me almost as well as I know me. You leave me judgement free and show support. Thanks for sticking with me. Hopefully you've gained something from my blog, or learned at least been entertained by me. We're fireproof! Here are my hand picked favorite posts of the year.
 
My Favorites of 2014
January: Dear White People February: Never Been Kissed 
September: Under the Surface October: Shipwrecked
November: The Race Card & New Normal December: Bare Naked
Let me just say that this year has been one of the most important for so many reasons. Everything and I mean absolutely everything has changed. I've become someone completely different, and most poignantly, someone I truly like. This year has been about authenticity, thoughtfulness, difficult truths, wholehearted love, and passion. I want to take a second to highlight the underlying theme of the second half of this year - that is figuring out my life post-college: Lost Boy, Cartographer, Carpe Diem, and Ready to Run. I found what excites me and gives me purpose in telling stories, writing, and advocacy with social justice becoming blended inadvertently into almost all my posts with a welcome return of disseminating some of the narratives of my past (particularly childhood stories). This year included huge events including social media overload especially with current events, propaganda and media scrutiny via news outlets and the film industry, celebrity deaths, sexual assault on college campuses, social injustice with the dehumanization of people of color, and the birth of my niece Quinn. In general this was the year that you (hopefully) saw me coming into my own. Hope you've enjoyed. Get ready, I have one semester left of college stories. Yours truly, Joteng.
  
My blog post question for the day is ... what's your favorite post from my blog? I really want to know so leave a comment below or tweet it at me @drjotengii

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex Bomb

Netflix and Chill

Awakening