Chronicle

Truth - Life happens in bit and pieces. Each day we write a little bit more of our life stories. The people we meet become different characters in our escapades. Our conversations, actions, and experiences write the narrative that fill the pages. Little by little we complete sentences, paragraphs, chapters, and books. The only thing that remains constant is us as the protagonist but even we, ourselves, change along the way. That's part of our character development. This is chronicle.

"To be really great in little things, to be truly noble and heroic in the insipid details of everyday life, is a virtue so rare as to be worthy of canonization." Harriet Beecher Stowe

For the majority of my time in this life, it's been written in semester increments. Just as one ends, another creeps up and is ready to begin. This year saw me having my big finish to my college chapter and starting a new one with graduate school. The cycle was set to continue but this time the stakes were higher; I was on my own. Moving to a new place where you literally know no one is both the most terrifying and yet the most exhilarating experience you can have in this life. The first few days were all google maps, parallel parking, and talking to strangers all while in a constant state of dire survival. Eventually I found my way and probably can tell you what my address is now but no promises. I learned the cultures of the locale, how to act in public, knew the signs of danger, and saw the community. I figured out how to be alone and to enjoy it more than ever before. I did the regular school thing with the plot twist of an hour long commute. I worked two jobs and balanced it all with this blog, volunteering, church, and keeping my life together. This chapter of my life is off to a more than solid start.

Looking back at this semester, it's unreal to imagine how much has changed. I started off wide eyed and bushy tailed and soon toned it all the way done in so many ways. I suppose I'm sad to a certain extent having to curate some of my charisma, but I think there have definitely been moments where I have been able to fully shine. Overall though, the real world, or at least this modified version I'm pretending to exist in, does everything in it's power to take away your individuality. It's been a constant push for me to bring my unique style to everything I do. If I'm not able to put a little bit of iconic me in it, then what's the point. Every day is an opportunity to stand out, to be different, and to take things to the next level. If you have the ability and means to distinguish yourself, then I say do so. I have and continue to be me in every way possible. I'm definitely more conscious of how I show up in certain spaces, especially as a professional (as if that's a real thing), but remain true to my quirky self. That's my chronicle, and I'm sticking to it.


Some of my favorite life moments have been the seemingly small ones in between the most blatantly significant ones. For me, it's been the times where my super looked over at me and smiled randomly, or wrote a little joke on my meeting agenda. It's been a student sliding a note under my door just to thank me for being there for them or texting me to ask for love life advice. It's been the stupid conversations I have when I'm carpooling about current events and pop culture. It's those moments that have brought me the most happiness, kept me grounded, and reminded me that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be for this chapter of my life. Through all the chaos, the randomness, and the sleepless nights doing work - it's those humbling moments that make it worthwhile.

Every week I would drive back from class on Wednesday's night and would use the time to call my friends or family and catch up from there. I dreaded the drive but I've had some of the deepest conversations in those hour long journeys. From my nonexistent love life, to stupid vines, or politics, just being able to stay connected to some of the people that matter most to me has been such a blessing. I think this semester, I've felt more purposeful in my connections with people. Being physically separated has changed the dynamics of so many of relationships. I have to me be more intentional in my communication whether texting, scheduling facetime sessions, or writing letters. Other people have fallen by the wayside, and I've learned to be okay with it. If they're supposed to be a recurring character in this chapter, they'll come back, or if they are not meant to be here, then that's okay too. This is a different chronicle.

Yesterday, I roadtripped to Michigan to retrieve my favorite person in the entire world, my sister, and head home to Cincinnati. Just being in her presence immediately changes my mood and I'm absolutely overjoyed. She is hands down the person who matters most to me. We had one of those memorable moments when we pulled a James Corden and did our own rendition of carpool karaoke. I haven't laughed so hard like that in such a long time. I sincerely missed her and the rest of my siblings. It's that time of year. Time to wrap up this chronicle. X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netflix and Chill

Awakening

Fraternally Yours