Dark Side of the Moon

Truth - Darkness is only the absence of light. Think about it. Inherently, wherever there is light, there can never be darkness but also the inverse stands true. Light and dark are mutually exclusive ways of being and seeing. Take your shadow for example, it's just us blocking a light source (usually the sun)  right before it hits the ground. Mind you, that light has travelled lightyears only to be thwarted by our clumsiness but that's besides the point. There is absolute importance in carrying your light with you wherever you go, if not others but also yourself. This the dark side of the moon.

"Those are the same stars, and that is the same moon, that look down upon your brothers and sisters, and which they see as they look up to them, though they are ever so far away from us, and each other." Sojourner Truth

The world was infatuated this week with a blood red Supermoon and simultaneous eclipse. Space is something that will both fascinates and scares me. There's something about the night sky that is so enticing on a deeply spiritual level. Seeing the stars glisten, twinkle, and shine against the blue and black landscapes of the sky is truly breathtaking. In the distinctive still of the night when all you can hear is the beating of your own heart and you long to tell it to be still so for once you will be in total silence is when outerspace seems closest. Some days it's like you could just reach up and pluck one of the stars, planets, or heavenly bodies right out of the sky. I guess you'd put it in your pocket it and just keep it forever. The night represents both perfect peace but also mysterious danger. In that same way beyond the stratosphere lies other worlds literally and figuratively that we know little to nothing about. It's unbelievable and scary at the same time. The realization of our insignificance is both humbling and anxiety bringing. In the grand scheme of things, maybe we don't matter as much as we think, but within the context in which we exist, we do matter immensely. Our inner light, our spirit, and our souls - even more so. It's the essence of who we are. What intrigues me most about the night is that even when it's darkest the light from above pierces through.

It is so easy to get caught up in the negativity, the fear, and the ultra-abysmal melancholy of the world. There is so much darkness. There is so much pain. There is so much destruction. Whether it be on a larger scale with the tragic shootings that keep occurring, the persecution of marginalized groups like Muslims, queer-identified people, or women and their autonomy over their own bodies, or Donald Trump's vitriolic abhorrence for everything/everyone "non-American, hope seems to be lost. In our personal lives the daily hardships of family struggles, feelings of loneliness, and insecurity in our abilities and identities among other things threaten to let darkness overrun us. I know I constantly combat all the less than picturesque thoughts, emotions, and ideas that run through my head. I just want to know if everyone I care about and the things that matter most to me are okay. I want to know that people are doing well and that they are happy. I want for their to be peace, love, and hope. I want there to be life - abundant, unabashed life - and light. The worries, the woes, and the whimpers say otherwise. What I know is that even the light of the stars reaches the dark side of the moon.

The outdoors is not really my thing, well at all but lately I've grown more accustomed to it albeit a diluted version since I currently reside in a city. One of my favorite things is the orange glow of the streetlight outside my window, the gentle buzzing that rings out room it, and the harmony it makes with the sounds of the whirring streetcleaning truck against the brick street. The train chugs along blaring it's horn and fades away. A gentle breeze blows and howls. Leaves rustle in miniature tornados against cool gray cracked concrete. Sometimes I just lie awake thinking about the world, the people in it, and what my place in it is. There are times where I feel small, insignificant, and useless. Other times I feel powerful, potent, and unstoppable. Darkness and light jostle back and forth in giving me serenity or nervousness.

Do you ever get overwhelmed with all the chaos of the world? Do you ever contemplate how you came to be where you are and what makes you deserving of all you have while others suffer? Do you ever wish you could bring forth the end to all the plights that plague us all?  I know they're big questions and perspective is necessary but I feel it in my heart that I'm supposed to amplify my light to as many people as possible. It's not just for me. It's to illuminate a path for others to follow and for them to do the same. I follow one too only because others came before me to clear a way. I have to care not only about those I know but those that I don't. I have to think about more than just my daily life. I have to find compassion for not only those I directly impact but even those out of range. The dark side of the moon only remains because we have to shine our light on it.

Tough times come and go. Pain lingers with us. Wrong happens in this world each and every day. Happiness prevails. Love conquers all. Hope is everlasting. Light drives out darkness. We each have our own inner light and we are tasked with lighting up not only our personal worlds but the worlds of others and even the dark side of the moon. X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex Bomb

Netflix and Chill

Awakening