Dream

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." Harriet Tubman



Do you dream? Do your dreams scare you? Are you dreams wondrous, magnificent, awe-inspiring? Do your dreams seem phantasmagorical, sublime, or surreal? Dreams in this literal and figurative connotations are significant to our experiences. Dreams let us imagine worlds, lives, and instances where the impossible becomes plausible. Dreams are critical to our grasping of what we are capable of. What do our dreams say about us? Are we paying attention? Are we noticing patterns? Are we taking actions to interpret the messages our dreams are communicating to us? Dreams are a manifestation of our subconscious. The part of ourselves that lies deep beneath the surface and speaks to the essence of both who we are, who we're afraid of, and who we're striving to be. What happens when we take serious and invest the time, energy, and effort to better understand what we are telling ourselves. There is so much there to unpack, to clarify, and to celebrate. How different would we be if we readily understood our yearns, desires, needs, and wishes? Couldn't we better advocate for what we're looking for out of this life that we get to live? There are so many ways to make less obscure what lies within us. Maybe we don't do so because we're fearful of what we already deeply know. Then again, all we have to fear is ourselves. 

My dad gave me some advice that has continued to resonate with me. He said, "There have been so many things I didn't know I could do, but I dreamed I could so I did." There is talk about willing our dreams into existence, and there is truth to that sentiment. Much of life happens because we choose to make it happen. Rarely do things just happen to us - it takes action on our part. Instead of waiting around for the world to make our dreams come true, we are tasked with ensuring they come to fruition. How powerful is that? That we have both the ability to envision our dreams, and the potential means to make them tangible? Make them real. What are we afraid? That once we our dreams are too big, that we are too small, or that we are too big, and our dreams too small? Maybe it's that if achieve our dreams what else is left? Or that our dreams may not satisfy us. What is a truth is that our dreams are never-ending. They go on, and on. They stretch for the entirety of lifetime, and further. We should never worry that we'll run out of dreams, that is simply impossible. If we put one by the wayside, there are million more to pursue. Dream, and then dream again. 


Things never happen the way we imagine. Hell, people are never who we construct them to be. Our perceptions are just that ... our perceptions. There is merit to them, but they are also deserving of critique. Nothing is as it seems, and there's both hope and sorrow in that. Things always turn out differently than we expect to them, for better, and for worse. It's how we mitigate our expectations, and navigate our circumstances that dictates our perceptions of the world around us. Our dreams may run wild, but when we tame them with reality we can co-create some semblance of a happy medium. What if instead of living in our dreams, we live in reality? Reality is what we make of it. What is real for us ... is real. Our experiences are our own. What we bring to life is alive. What we make the most of is the most bountiful. What we believe matters, matters. It's a simple cause and effect. We are both the cause and the effect in our lives. 



Sometimes I wonder if I have dreamt too much. I question if what I have inside me is too grandiose to ever come to life. I worry that I won't have enough time to do all that I have in my heart. I am challenged by the society I live in, and the limitations it seeks to set upon me. Am I too much? Am I too powerful for my own good? Am I who I believe myself to be? What is my capacity? How far will my abilities take me? Do I have all that I need to be the person I understand myself as? It's both a gift and a curse to be self-aware of all that I am, in the context that I find myself in, and the way I strive to be for/with others. My dreams scare me, in the best ways possible. My dreams excite me in ways that shake me to my core. My dreams are hopeful for freedom, justice, and opportunity for all. My dreams are blindingly bright. My dreams are brave to the point that I wonder if I have the courage to live them out. My dreams are beyond me, and part of me. I am my own wildest dream in human form. That scares me. That empowers me. 


Dreams require clarification but oftentimes we are too busy to honor them with the substantive thought necessary to gain a working understanding of them. We can make time. We can set aside time. We can invest time into ourselves so we can be lead by our dreams instead of meandering aimlessly. We can act with purpose when what we are seeking to achieve, and more importantly why. It's not just our dreams that matter but our motivations behind them. Obligation, morality, or external expectations are flimsy motivators. If we build our dreams on superficial ideals they are bound to crumble. When we know why we have our dreams, and why we're chasing them down, we have the intrinsic motivation to persist, regardless of the outcome. When our dreams challenge us, force us to struggle, or reward us with failure - knowing why we had them in the first place helps us make meaning out of any occurrence with them. Dreams are not meant to be stagnant; they should change and evolve with us. Why are we pursuing the dreams our past selves dreamt when they won't bring peace or contentment to us now? Reinvision our dreams. Reimagine our world. Reinvent ourselves. Again, and again. Dreams are a lifelong endeavor, and we can never have enough. When we stop dreaming, we stop living. X

Question Our Dreams:


  • What am I passionate about?
  • What am I uniquely talented in?
  • What makes me special?
  • How do I want to change my world?
  • What impact do I want to have in my communities?
  • Why am I the way that I am?
  • When am I at my best, thriving, flowing?
  • Who do others believe me to be?
  • Why are my dreams?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netflix and Chill

Awakening

Fraternally Yours