Black Hoodie

The 20s is all about standing up for what you believe. It's times like that test us all, push us to the brink, and force us to wake up from our obliviousness. If you want your cause to matter, you have to be the one to make sure it does. Count on no one else to do the job you are more than capable of doing. We all have a voice, use it. Speak to be heard, and listen to understand. I was before, am now, and always will be wearing my black hoodie.

*Honestly, when I heard the verdict of the George Zimmerman case I was absolutely astonished. I stood there literally speechless, I couldn't form words, my stomach plummeted and my heart raced. My dad had told me yesterday that he suspected that the verdict would result in an acquittal but I felt there was no way. I hopped on facebook and twitter to sound off and express myself like many other people. I could not type fast enough. I was sweating, tears formed on the corners of my eyes and fell freely from face. I was eating and suddenly after being ravenously hungry, I felt sick to my stomach like I could projectile vomit at any moment. After half an hour of listening to the CNN Q&A by the district attorney and the defense (who's smug attitude, untimely jokes, and crude behavior) poured salt in the open wound that was this reality. The Martin family attorney came on and I was completely outraged, again they didn't really say anything and we know why, because they don't have the same freedom that the defense (white males) have to run their mouths any how, without facing the repercussion of being disbarred, or having their comments reflect on the entirety of their race or anyone who resembles them. Why did I have some a physical and emotional reaction this verdict? Simple, because I AM TRAYVON MARTIN. Yes, I am. I am a young black male and that could have just as easily been me who was followed, no antagonized, no stalked but a gun-toting self-righteous wannabe vigilante running on white society perpetuated stereotypes and unwarranted fears so strong they cloud all rational sense and took a man who claimed to feeling threatened to gun down the actual victim. I now know, more than ever, and it's been confirmed by this ruling (stand your ground can kiss my scary black ass) that I am the most terrifying person in America, and that people's irrational fear of me gives them the right to kill me. That is what I've learned - read this article What We Already Knew. I've learned and will be even more vigilante to make sure I'm not scaring you, even when I'm walking, minding my own business, and have no intention of harming you, whatsoever. I am Trayvon Martin because my very existence in this country makes people feel unsafe. All I know is Trayvon's death was not in vain - this is not the end, only the beginning of real efforts for change. Black hoodies up, always, I'm "wearing" one just because my skin is brown.

Now, let me tell you the facts. George Zimmerman, even though he is cold blooded killer who racially profiled an innocent black male (and I know this because I live it on a daily freaking basis), was acquitted because the jury couldn't be convinced without a shadow of reasonable doubt  (which is all that is necessary in Florida) that his altercation with Trayvon Martin was not an attack but rather self-defense. To all the people who are listening to all this ridiculous rumors that Trayvon was high, and George Zimmerman was doing his "job" in protecting his neighborhood, you're missing the point. None of this would have happened if George Zimmerman had not followed Trayvon. He was and always will be the aggressor. The police told him to turn back, but instead he chose to get out of his car and engage Trayvon. Trayvon was DEFENDING himself against Zimmerman and ended up dead. Who had the gun? Who followed who? Those are the only facts I need. Either way, a child was killed and here begins my thoughts on pacifism. Self-defense is a basic right in this country, fine and fair, but killing someone is not NECESSARY to defend yourself. When someone is trying to harm you, your goal is to stop them, correct? The same goal can be achieved in tazing the person or hitting them so hard they are knocked unconscious. Your attacker is immobilized and incapacitated, correct. You are now safe, right? Why then is it that you must KILL a person to stop them? Explain to me that because I just don't, and never will get it. Killing someone is so final. Yes, I understand someone may be trying to take your life, and your response is to take theirs instead? You are the same. I don't care about the heat of the moment, a sleeper hold, a nerve pinch, a brain-rattling punch all do the same damn thing, knock out your aggressor so you can escape, end of story. If someone comes after me, they can kill me, I would rather die than be responsible for someone else's death. That's something you have to live with not only in this life. You are free to think what you want, but I know I don't need a gun to protect myself when a sleeping dart or roundhouse kick to the noggin will accomplish the same thing. I wear my black hoodie always, hoodies up.

Finally, to all those who claim Zimmerman was not racist because he's Hispanic. He is racist in the sense that his ideas created by the white dominated society that is America gave him the notion that black people are to be feared and are dangerous. He acted upon the irrational (irrational because not everyone is the same, even if you've been attacked by one young black male, does not mean that every young black male will attack you; use logic, and replace the word black with white and you see how outrageous that assumption is) fear that is racial profiling. BECAUSE of the color Trayvon's skin (no other factors are necessary beyond that) he was a danger. If you use common sense or context clues, the can of iced tea, bag of Skittles, lack of tattoos etc. you would come to the conclusion that he would be a danger, in theory. Everyone has the potential to be a danger. How is it fair that I am perceived to be dangerous when I wear Abercombie and Fitch shirts, Urban Outfitters cardigans, Hollister skinny jeans, and speak the same "proper English" that you do. No tattoos, no missing teeth, no smell of alcohol, cigarettes or weed. Yet still, I am a danger to you? NO. You are a danger to not only yourself but me as well. Your trepidation riddled thoughts can lead to real action that can lead to death. That's the scary thing. I don't go around being afraid of white people (I should with the way I'm treated) because not everyone is the same or an alcoholic, mass murdering, embezzling rapist. I'm done, and doomed to forever wear a black hoodie, whether I'm actually wearing one or not.
 
The 20s are all about using your voice and speaking the truth. The truth is something that can never be silenced. It always finds a way to come out and it always hurts. Things aren't just black and white, but some things really are obvious if you open your eyes to see them. Think before you act. Think before you speak. Just think. Black hoodies out.

My blog post question for the day is ... what's your opinion on self-defense? I can't write anymore, I'm done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netflix and Chill

Awakening

Fraternally Yours